Saturday, December 20, 2008

Guardian Angel

This week's inspiration for the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge is It's a Wonderful Life. Even though I'm busy with last-minute Christmas preparations, I just couldn't help but play along with one of my all-time favorite movies.

I'm a strong believer in guardian angels, both in heaven and here on earth. We all have people in our lives who guide us along in our journey. I had to use an angel to represent the "Clarence" we all have looking out for us.



I felt like making a sparkly card today, so I used Versmark Dazzle on the background, a clear glitter pen on the dove, rhinestones around the sentiment, and added icicle Stickles to the angel's wings to make her extra sparkly.










I think this sentiment fits perfectly with the message of the movie. As Clarence says, "Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" I'm sure we've all had those times in our lives where we thought the world would be better off without us. This movie always reminds me that I may be touching others' lives in ways I'm not even aware of.

I often relate this idea to my teaching. Although my high schoolers might not appreciate me now, I hope that I leave a positive effect on their lives, even if it's in some small way. As Mother Teresa once said, "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. "

Stamps: On Angel Wings (SU), Out on a Limb (PTI)
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Perfect Plum, PTI white
Ink: Elegant Eggplant, Adirondack Pitch Black, Versmark Champagne Dazzle
Accessories: designer label punch, circle punch, ticket corner punch, Copic markers (E00, V09, Y15), rhinestones (The Paper Studio), icicle Stickles, clear glitter pen (Spica), dimensionals

17 comments:

Anabelle O'Malley said...

OOh, I love this card! That's my favorite quote. I just made a card with it, too. Your angel is beautiful. I love her wings!

Jacquel said...

Gorgeous card and love the bling!

loretta said...

So very beautiful. The bling is perfect!

i {heart} papers said...

I love all the bling on this card! And that is one of my all-time fav movies!

Shirley said...

Of course, you already know this is my favorite angel! and now your card is one of my favorites too! I love what you did with the wings and the card! Beautiful, Ann.

Tethered2Home said...

Your card is beautiful, I love the sparkle arches & on the wings. I especially love the sentiment, it's true & it makes my heart jump with joy, wonderful!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Very nice. I like the sparkly wings and yes, that sentiment does fit the movie theme.

Nellie Mae said...

That is such a great quote!!! Pretty card.

Lyn S said...

Just gorgeous! Love the sparkle!

Nellie Mae said...

Ann!! My canvas was so easy. I forget how quickly paint dries, it is such an easy way to customize something. I made another canvas using the cards from my wedding. It is in a similar grid format, but I included pictures and all sorts of other 'found' objects. It was so easy and fun. My family and friends love to see this on my wall when they come over. It looks so cool! I will have to post it soon. Good luck, I can't wait to see what you come up with. It would be cool to make one with all my old graduation cards or birthday cards. (I save everything)

JoLynn said...

Such a wise commentary. Indeed, we as teachers have no idea of the footprint we leave on the lives of those we teach. Same with parenting, too.

I love the angel's wings on your card. They look awesome.

Elena said...

I really love what you wrote Ann...
I love your card! Beautiful, precious... Love the glitter on the wings!

Kathi said...

Stunning card! I love all the sparkly and bling you added. That's a beautiful image and one of my favorite quotes.

My daughter wants to be a high school because several of her teachers made a difference in her life. I'm sure you're doing the same for your students.

Happy Holidays!

Virginia Killmore said...

Love the bling!

Ophthalmologist said...

What a beautiful card with all that glitter on the angel's wings! I'm sure Clarence would LOVE these wings!

Becky said...

Beautiful!

Brooke S said...

I think that is my favorite saying in the entire world... I use that quote often. It's so very true.....

I love the purple color scheme you choose... The glittery wings are just s perfect touch...

thanks so much for playing along as always we love ya!
Holiday hugs
Brooke